The Ortho Molecular Answer


Calcium the most abundant mineral in the body and is the key to building and maintaining healthy bones and teeth. 

Our bones contain almost 99% of the body's calcium. The remaining 1% is integral to the functioning and health of the human body.  

A constant level of calcium is required in the extracellular fluid and blood.  To maintain this level, calcium is transferred to and from the reservoir in the bones as needed.

Research has found that calcium plays an important role in body functions and enzyme activities such as contraction of muscles, release of neurotransmitters, regulation of heart beat, and clotting of blood. 

Calcium is also considered a protective factor against colon cancer. 

Calcium ions help clot blood and stimulate nerves. 

Studies indicate that almost 30% of the population is lacking in sufficient levels of calcium.

Most often, calcium supplements are suggested by medical professionals for treatment of osteoporosis, high blood pressure and during pregnancy. 

Common food sources of calcium include milk, whole grain cereals and meat bones. Calcium is also found in abundance in dairy products such as cheese etc. 

To varying degrees, calcium may also be found in plant foods such as spinach, kale, tofu and other green leafy vegetables.

It is important to research the calcium levels in food as not all sources of calcium are easily absorbed by the human body.  An example of this would be spinach, although high in calcium, it is poorly absorbed by our bodies.  Kale on the other hand has more absorbable calcium and would be a better choice in terms of its nutritional value.

Low and high protein diets alter calcium levels and therefore require supplements to balance out the body's enzymatic processes.

Children who suffer from low levels of calcium may develop Rickets which can result in bone deformities and abnormal growth patterns, although Rickets is not a common problem in children at the current time.

Other signs of calcium deficiency include muscular irritability, softening of the bones, muscle spasms, leg cramps, high blood pressure, osteoporosis which is more common in women however this condition also occurs in men, and colon cancer.

Symptoms of too much calcium include interference with blood coagulation, depressed nerve function and in some cases kidney stones. 

If you are allergic to dairy products, it is necessary to supplement calcium. 

Absorption levels are determined by the acid quantity in your stomach.  In order to increase absorption, an orthomolecular specialist may suggest additional hydrochloric acid.

Orthomolecular research suggests that women should take between 500 to 1000 milligrams of calcium in conjunction with ½ that amount of magnesium.  Many believe that the ratio of calcium to magnesium should be 2 to one